In a media release published today, the Consulate General of Malta in the State of Victoria, Australia announced a programme of special events to be held during the second half of April 2012 for the Maltese community to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Award of the George Cross to the people of Malta during World War II on 15 April 1942.
The following is the programme of activities:
- A competition for Multimedia projects, Audio Visual presentations and Essay writing with the topic Malta and the Award of the George Cross. For more details visit www.maltagc.net.au or call the Consular Offices on 03 9670 8427.
- Sunday April 15th at 11.00 am – George Cross Award Commemoration Ceremony organized by the Australian Maltese Association at the Shelter of Peace, Shrine of Remembrance, Melbourne (contact Ben Soler on 9336 3121).
- Tuesday April 17th at 7.30 pm – Public talk about the Award of the George Cross to Malta organized by the Maltese Historical Association at Maltese Community Centre, Parkville (contact Frances Bonnici on 9432 1335).
- Saturday April 21st at 6.00 pm – Launch of an Exhibition of historical images of Malta during the war and the award of the George Cross to Malta, Screening of the film Heroes of the Sky, Presentation of Competition Awards and Reception at the Maltese Community Centre, Parkville. (Registration of attendance is required by calling 9387 8922). The Exhibition will be open until Sunday 27th April.
- Sunday April 29th at 2.30 pm – George Cross Award Commemoration Ceremony organized by the Maltese Ex Services Association at the George Cross Monument, Maltese Community Centre, Parkville (contact Emmanuel Spiteri on 9338 3526).
For more details visit www.maltagc.net.au